U18 Report: Saints 1-0 Brighton

By SFC Media time Sat 22 Sep Saints v Brighton
Photo by James Bridle
Sat 22 Sep 11AM
U18 Premier League
Brighton & Hove Albion
[Robise 61']
[Brennan 88'] [Robise 90+3'] [Tchaptchet 90+3']
yellow card
[Cashman 78'] [Talaj 90+3'] [Onen 90+3'] Roberts [90+6']
Referee: Declan O'Shea | Venue: Staplewood Campus | Attendance: 0

Southampton Under-18s collected their first win of the season, as they outfoxed fellow south coast neighbours Brighton & Hove Albion, 1-0.

Following a tricky start to the campaign for Paul Hardyman’s side, the young Saints will be relieved to get their first win on the board in the Under-18 Premier League, in what was an impressive display at a wet Staplewood Campus.

A fast start from Saints in the opening five minutes would set the tone, as Will Ferry saw his shot blocked on the edge of the six-yard box, following brilliant work from Enzo Robise on the right-hand side.

Ferry was involved again shortly after, setting Kornelius Hansen free in the box, whose shot stung the palms of the Brighton keeper, Roco Rees.

Ferry continued to impress, and, moments later, sent in an angled delivery to the far post, which resulted in a clever lay-off from Dan Bartlett to Robise, whose low drive slammed against the base of the near post.

The chances didn’t stop there in the opening exchanges for Saints, either.

After some fantastic hold up play from Christian Norton, the forward found Hansen on the edge of the box, though the Norwegian curled his effort just wide of the top corner, with the pressure really starting to mount on Brighton.

Just before the half-hour mark, another good chance fell the way of Hardyman’s side. Robise’s devilish free-kick just outside the penalty box was spilled by Rees, though the Brighton keeper quickly recovered to prevent Pascal Kpohomouh from converting the loose ball.

Kpohomouh and Allan Tchapchet were really starting to show signs of forming a solid partnership at the heart of the Saints defence, as Brighton struggled to get past the two Frenchmen.

The Brighton defence endured a tough first half, and that was evident again after a loose ball from Sam Packham almost gifted Norton a tap-in, with Rees in no man’s land, only for a last-ditch prevention from Hayden Roberts denying Saints once more.

From the resulting corner, Saints had their best opportunity of the half, as Kayne Ramsay saw his header cleared off the line, with the Brighton goal living a charmed life.

Saints were playing with an intensity and flair that Brighton could not deal with, the only thing missing was the goal their tenacity deserved.

However, Brighton did start to show signs of threat towards the end of the half, with their best moment from the first 45 coming from a wicked delivery from Ryan Longman, which was almost met by Danny Cashman as the ball whistled just wide of Jack Bycroft’s post.

Brighton improved at the start of the second half, as a tempting cross from Jayden Onen across the six-yard box in the opening seconds was brilliantly dealt with by Bartlett who turned the ball behind, with Cashman behind ready to pounce.

Onen was starting to have a real impact on the second half for the young Seagulls, as some neat work on the right-hand side was matched by a teasing cross into the Saints box, only for Cashman to glance his header just wide of the post.

On the hour mark, the breakthrough came at last for Saints. A clever Robise free-kick from the left-hand side of the penalty box, floated all the way through past Rees and nestled into the bottom corner.

Shortly after, Brighton really ought to be level after an inviting cross into the box from Onen down the left wing was headed over from close range by Ayo Tanimowo.

Hardyman’s side then went back on the offensive and pushed for a second goal, as Hansen went close again, though he couldn’t find the connection he wanted, poking Norton’s pass just wide of the post from inside the box.

Another golden opportunity to double the lead came Robise’s way again, as some energetic pressing came with reward, as the winger charged down Callum Tutt’s clearance and raced clear through, only to put his shot into the side netting when one-on-one with Rees.

Ferry was back on centre stage in the final 15 minutes, as some stunning close control down the left freed him of Tanimowo, which was then followed by a low, fizzed ball across the box, only to be agonisingly skewed wide on the stretch by the on-rushing Robise.

Tensions threatened to boil over in the final moments, which resulted in five players in total being booked, including Robise and Tchapchet for Saints, following a scuffle, but Hardyman’s youngsters held out with a degree of comfort for a deserved first win of the season.


Jack Bycroft (GK)
Kayne Ramsay (C)
Kameron Ledwidge
Dan Bartlett
replace Taymar Fleary (78′)
Pascal Kpohomouh
Allan Tchaptchet
Enzo Robise goal
Alexandre Jankewitz
Christian Norton
replace Benni Smales-Braithwaite (71′)
Kornelius Hansen
Will Ferry
replace Sean Brennan (78′)
Oludare Olufunwa
Adam Parkes
Sean Brennan
Taymar Fleary
Benni Smales-Braithwaite

Brighton and Hove Albion

Roco Rees (GK)
Sam Packham
replace Laurent Tolaj (78′)
Cameron Tutt
Julien Carre
replace Tareq Shihab (89′)
Ben Clark-Eden
Hayden Roberts
Marc Leonard
Ayo Tanimowo
Danny Cashman
Jayden Onen
Ryan Longman (C)
replace Stefan Vukoje (63′)
Tareq Shihab
Piotr Salewski
Stefan Vukoje
Laurent Tolaj
Matthew Weaire
U18 Highlights: Saints 1-0 Brighton timeSat 22 Sep
Saints v Brighton

U18 Highlights: Saints 1-0 Brighton

The best of the action as the youngsters win at Staplewood.

photo U18 Gallery: Saints 1-0 Brighton Academy Focus: Caleb Watts
Building at base SFC_Camera
Men's First team

Building at base

A look inside Staplewood Campus with the latest training gallery.

time4 mins ago
On This Day: Saints taste Wembley glory Women's Pitchside Access: Bristol City